Search This Blog

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Me and Doctors

Well, today i had a lecture from Steven about going to the Doctors.

I have terrible pain at times in both knees and my left hip i cannot walk properly at all anymore, but when i last went to see Dr Colman, a consultant at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn, on the 11th May 2009, he told me in no uncertain terms, that i had to struggle on, and if i lost weight he may do a knee replacement when i am 70.


In that case, why go to the Doctors they have washed their hands off of me, i know i need to do something but i am so scared, not being difficult as my family thinks.

Taken from the blog My Right Knee dated 14th July 2010 since this time the pain has spread to both knees and my left hip

On the 11th March 2009 the results of the X-Ray came back, I was diagnosed with early stage of Osteo-Arthritis, although I do not dispute this, I am not convinced this is the whole story, because:- the rapidity of the onset of pain, osteo arthritis is degenerative, and the onset of the pain is gradual,  Weather and cold has no effect,   morning is my best time the more I do the worse the pain gets.

On the 11th May 2009 I saw the orthopaedic consultant Dr Colman, to which I attended a most unsatisfactory interview, yes I had osteo arthritis, but he wouldn’t do anything because of my weight, if I lost a considerable amount of weight he might be prepared to do a knee replacement when I am 70, he would refer me to have an MRI, at this stage the nurse butted in and said she had difficulty getting in the MRI when she had one and I am bigger than she is, he then said there is a possibility of torn cartiledge and the MRI would reveal this, in this case he might be able to do keyhole surgery, if he felt like doing it because of the fat.  I asked him what I could do in the meantime, he shrugged and said Struggle On. I was embarrassed and humiliated, he was quite nasty in his attitude, never even invited me to sit down.
I am very upset and depressed about this appointment, I have tried hard, seriously and unsuccessfully to lose weight for many years, I lose quite easily 1 stone then I stop and nothing seems to work from then on. It is now Thurs am I have not had a meal since Monday lunchtime before my hospital appt, but I am at a loss as to what to do, radical steps are needed.  I have cried a lot everything feels so helpless, to live like this for the rest of my life, is there.

I eventually had an MRI scan on 31st May 2009 it was excrutiatingly painful, how my knee was forced to straighten up, but i survived, the consultant never gave me results after weeks of waiting the GP chased it up and it was confirmed i had Osteo Arthritis and torn cartiledge, he never asked to see me, offered treatment, or pain management.

My GP did put me on anti inflammatory Diclofenic and weightloss aid, xenical, but i cannot say i felt xenical really helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment