Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 October 2012

Oh Sew Good Cross Stitch Designs

Below is an article which appeared in Septembers edition of Hunstanton Town and Around.




Why!
I used to do cross stitch many years ago, after a break I decided to go back to it.
On looking for kits, I found that they were either big, and complicated, thus very expensive, or small with flowers and teddies. There seemed nothing in between. On top of that, I had always had an inkling to do a Hunstanton Cross Stitch. These two things gave me a glimmer of an idea.
Decision
I decided that if it wasn’t available, I would have a go and make kits to sell as there appeared to be an obvious gap in the market. I googled Cross Stitch Designer, and searched forums and looking for recommendations, and eventually came across a demo for an American Package after having a play, I thought YES! This is just what I want. I took the plunge and purchased the full package.
Designing
With my husband Bob’s help, off we went. We started with simple samplers to begin with. Years ago my husband created a Hunstanton logo, which symbolised the sun setting over the sea. This is where we began, and we were happy with the finished design.  All our Hunstanton designs at some point have something which symbolises the sun setting over the sea.
Then we tried designing my dream Hunstanton Lighthouse. You can import a picture and the package automatically converts it to cross stitch. However, we found it just too complicated to stitch. There were so many threads, and shades, this was just not going to work. Then, after a lot of trial and error, we discovered something quite amazing. You can import a picture as an underlay, which brings the picture beneath the grid and you manually add the stitches. This is time consuming, but worthwhile in the end.
The Design
We chose a 6x4” counted cross stitch design because it was small enough to be used as a card, but big enough to be used as a picture, also it is not too daunting to attempt.
I stitch every design, to make sure it works (it usually does), to calculate how many threads it uses, and to enable me to take a photo of the finished product.



The Kits
After it has been stitched I then make up the kits, ready to sell with:-
14ct Aida (Aida cloth is an open weave, even-weave fabric traditionally used for cross-stitch embroidery. This cotton fabric has a natural mesh that facilitates cross-stitching and enough natural stiffness that the crafter does not need to use an embroidery hoop.)
Thread Organisers thread with DMC threads,
Pattern, Instructions and a needle, and package them up.
Children’s Kits
During the wet weather we have had, I thought how awful to be stuck in a caravan with 2 bored children. This led to the birth of a few Children’s Kits, these come with 6ct Binca Fabric, (which has larger holes in) and large Plastic colourful needles, Thread and thread organiser, Easy to read pattern and instructions.
These can also be used for people with poor vision and restricted movement, although as the crosses are larger, the design cannot be too intricate.
Marketing
My next challenge – how do I sell these. I started off selling on eBay, doing occasional sales and craft fairs. I then decided to write to the Hunstanton Tourist Information and asked would they be interested. To my delight, they were, so a selection, of the Kits, are available in Hunstanton Tourist Information. I have also started having a fortnightly stall at Docking Market. The Kits retail at £4.50.
Since those early uncertain days we have produced quite a few kits expanding away from Hunstanton, and we are buzzing with so many ideas for kits in the future.
Ed Fest
With a view to support local events, I decided to create a design to celebrate St Edmund.
This specific design draws on three main elements and uses local inspiration for the design.
The arch is St Edmunds Chapel, the wolf is the sculpture at the end of the Wolf Trail and the rest of the central feature is from the Town Sign. I am very pleased with this design and it was a fairly easy stitch, it also comes complete with the story of St Edmund.
Please feel free to contact Dawn Davies for a leaflet which has a picture of all the designs available at ohsewgood@hotmail.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment