Search This Blog

Sunday 25 November 2012

My Weightloss Journey




Having had 4 children after each child I put on weight.  But trying to lose weight is so difficult and i try so hard, however, I do enjoy nice food and I enjoy baking, which makes it so much more difficult.

From the 1980's I have been in a constant battle with my food, I have tried Calorie Counting, Slimming World (which I didn't get on with), Weightwatchers which I did get on with, my biggest problem with it is it does not include exercise it would work better 45 mins on diet and 45 as an exercise class, the one that suits me best was Rosemary Conley, it incorporated diet and exercise, gave good support, but the local class was 15 miles away which became a bit of a problem fitting round the family, and I have heard even that has closed, I also tried the Atkins Diet, Cabbage Soup Diet, F Plan, GI Diet.

One problem I discovered was during my pre menstrual time of the month I was addicted to chocolate, I just needed to eat chocolate, unfortunately it was several years before I noticed this pattern, otherwise I could have taken steps.

On the 5th January 2009 I weighed 18 stone,then on the 21st May 2009 I was prescribed the weightloss pill Orlistat (a brand name for Xenical) which I was on for about 5 months but I did not feel it was doing me much good and having to go to the doctors once a month was a bit of a bind.

After years trying I do find the weightwatchers regime suits me best, but after months of attending weightwatchers, I was gaining nothing new, spending £17 a month on the subscription and I just wasn't being inspired, I was learning nothing new, I found it expensive and achieved little in class.

In June 2010, I cancelled weightwatchers, and purchased a Wii fit, I loved my Wii fit, but seem to lack direction on my diet as well as support at home. 

As the pain in my knees increased, so did I slow down and find exercise more difficult and exceedingly painful so then it became so much harder to lose weight.

I am now back where I began and reverted to Calorie Counting, which you cannot go too far wrong with, I am good at dieting and do stick to the diet rigidly.

No matter what diet I am on I always start off fine and losing, then reach a plateau and after several weeks gradually lose interest, then give up and then gradually the weight goes on once again. 
And the circle starts again, yo-yo dieting cannot be good for your physical and mental wellbeing.

I detest the term Diet I prefer Healthy Lifestyle, you have to change the way you think and eat food permanently or the weight will pile back on, the term diet indicates that it will end at some point. I don’t believe in diets which exclude any food groups because a healthy balanced diet needs all food groups.

Things I know are my problem areas are:-
·         I do not eat enough Fruit and Veg
·          I do not drink enough water
·          My husband and I eat totally differently, now there is just the 2 of us, buying and preparing seperate foods is expensive and time consuming
·         Having no freezer is a problem
·         Not enough exercise (because of  the knee pain)
·         Lack of Family Support

No comments:

Post a Comment