Search This Blog

Sunday 19 September 2010

My Life until I met Bob

I was born at home on Thursday 19th December 1957 at 43 Stoughton Street, Leicester.  It was a terraced house with a shared yard, we stayed there until 1962.  I remember we had a long haired collie dog called Lassie which i adored.  At 6 days old my Mum pushed me to my Nan and Grandads for Christmas, against the midwives wishes.
I was Christened at St Peters Church, Belgrave, Leicester on the 23rd February 1958.


In 1962 we moved into 10 Robin Close, Leicester, where we made friends with Sheila and Alan Barnet they lived on the corner and had 2 boys Stephen and Gary, Alan was a driving instructor and taught my mum to drive.  Robin Close was on the corner of Saffron Lane, there was a park nearby with a river which i used to visit.
I attended Knighton Fields infant school in Leicester.  In 1964 my sister Debra Jane was born, better known to everyone as Debbie.
I remember the day my Great Grandma Lingard died, she died above the Cavendish Road shop, i asked my mum if i could go and see her, she said no, when i asked why she said that there was nothing there now her insides had gone, i imagined these eyes with holes in where the eyes should have been, i had nightmares about this for years, i now realise my mum meant the spirit, funny what harm ill thought phrases can do.
In 1965 i was bridesmaid for my Uncle George when he married Auntie Jill.

Me in my Bridesmaid Dress with Debbie in 1965.
We lived in Robin close from 1962 - 1968.
In 1968 we moved to Wigston Magna in Leicestershire, and lived at 13 Godwin Avenue, it was a lovely garden with a wonderful fish pond which Debbie fell in the day we moved in.  I remember a sparrow scaring me to death by flying round the kitchen.  My fear of frogs began here, on returning home from school, i stepped over a stone, and it jumped up my skirt as i stepped over and scared me to death.  One day i got home from school to find Dad unconscious in the conservatory, he had accidentally cut his wrist with a chisel,
I attended Bushloe High School in South Wigston, I loved the school and the headmaster he was so kind.
My Nan and Grandad had a caravan in Heacham and for years we had been going there on holiday, and at weekends, i remember going on a Saturday night having Fish and Chips at Thorney near Peterborough and meeting Nan and Grandad at a layby just passed Wisbech, we were on the way back from Heacham and we were on the way there, and they passed over the Caravan Keys.
In 1968 Nan and Grandad retired and Mum took over the running of the shop, and they decided to move to Heacham in April.
In 1970 we moved above the shop in Cavendish Road, there was the ground floor and 3 floors above, this was a fantastic childs play ground all these unused rooms.
In 1971  we moved to Snettisham Railway Station.  The reason for the move was we loved the area and Mum was increasingly concerned about Nan and Grandad over here with no family, in case of problems.  Dad still worked in Leicester, and he temporarily moved in with Granny, but came down at weekends as he was being made redundant.
The Railway Station was bought off British Rail and was derelict it took months to do up, for 6 months we had to go to Nan and Grandads once a week for a bath.
In 1972, in the winter Dad was on his way back to Leicester from Norfolk, and he never made it, he had run off the road at Peterborough and hit a tree and it took 2 days to find him because he was suffering from concussion and gave the wrong address as we had just moved to Peterborough hospital, Dad had quite a long convalescence.
Dad put his redundancy money into moving the shop to Kings Lynn.
I attended Hunstanton Secondary Modern School, this was not an easy move, as i moved from a comprehensive school, working in Metric to a traditional school still working in imperial. My best friends were Wendy Andrews and Poppy Nice.
In 1974ish i was a bridesmaid for my Cousin Diane when she married Mick Cooper.
In 1974ish Mum and Dad converted the station waiting rooms into a Granny Flat for Granny to move into.
In 1974 i left school and got a job at Adams Childrenswear a new shop that was opening in Kings Lynn.

No comments:

Post a Comment