Search This Blog

Sunday 19 September 2010

N Train

Or how to make a model train the hard way.
Sometime after our housefire, I restarted my interest in N Gauge model railways. I wanted to have a model of the train I took to London on a weekly basis.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a model of it available, and there still isn't. So I decided it would be good to make one.............

I started looking into what I could use and found very little that could be used. No motorised chassis, no suitable body.
Anyway, one thing led to another and I ended up leasing a computer controlled milling machine which came with Rhino 3D, a computer aided design package.
Over time I made contact with like minded people and ended up looking at designing my own chassis which generated a lot of interest. Prototypes have been seen at various shows and always attract attention.
As part of my learning curve I have had to learn CAD, mould making, resin casting and metal casting, all with different degrees of success.
In an aid to finance development, I started getting a few model cars and buses from Japan and set up an e-bay shop. This is currently getting steady sales.
So, do I have my model of the King's Lynn train????
It's only been 6 or 7 years, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment