Search This Blog

Saturday 19 March 2011

My Baptism Testimony

I feel I have always been a Christian.

There has been no blinding flash of light, which said, ‘now I have found Jesus’. However, there have been 3 times in my life that have had a profound effect.

When I was about 12, and living in Leicester, I had a row with my Mum (What's New). I stormed out of the house, and eventually ended up sitting on a bench, which happened to be outside of All Saints Church in Wigston Magna, Leicester. I sat there feeling rather upset, when an elderly lady came to me and asked if I was alright. One thing led to another and she invited me to accompany her into church. During communion, she invited me to go up with her to be blessed. This is my first memory of being in a church and has stayed with me.

Then in June 1984, the Evangelist Billy Graham toured the UK, and I went to see him at Carrow Road, Canarys Football Grounds in Norwich. This was a wonderful experience.

When I first attended Union Church, Muriel was there to welcome me and it felt right for me, just like coming home. On the 2nd May 1999, I had the honour of being received into membership of the Union Church, by Jonathan Calvert during communion.

During a particularly bad time in my life, I couldn't face going to church. I couldn’t seem to get through a service without crying and I got so embarrassed, this is the time I needed church the most, but was too upset to attend. The longer I left it the harder it came to make that first move back to Church.

Since I took the plunge and returned to church my faith has become deeper. I regularly attend Bible Study, and study daily bible notes Word for Today. I find I am more open with my faith and no longer keep it hidden as if I am ashamed of it.

It has been a rocky and interesting road to get to this point. I have been considering being baptised for over 10 years, when I was witness to a Baptism performed by Jonathan Calvert.

I now feel that the time is right for me to make this commitment to myself and to God, as I have grown more confident in my faith. I have learnt to trust in Jesus and thank the Lord for not giving up on me, even when I felt like giving up, and pray that with his help, and the help of my friends at Union, I will grow as a Christian and get ever closer to God. I would just like to finish with the immortal words ‘Father I place into your hands, the things that I can’t do’.

No comments:

Post a Comment